Next to "The Samuels Clock" located at 856 Market Street. (Note: Search for "The Samuels Clock" on Google Maps and it will show the location of the meeting place.)
Note: Please note that reservations are not guaranteed until a confirmation number has been provided to you. Advance reservation is required.
The Urban Trek for San Francisco is done in a way to make it as easy as possible for anyone to complete the Urban Trek. Most walks are done at a normal pace for approximately no more than 15 minutes before a short rest period while the Urban Trek Leader does his commentaries. Uphill walks are made as infrequent as possible. However, most parks are atop a small hill to get the benefit of the best views of the City. Lunch break is about an hour to give the group time to enjoy a relaxing meal. Most stops have public rest rooms available.
What to bring for the Urban Trek
- Exact Muni cash fare ($3.00 each ride for adults, $1.50 for those under 18 years old and seniors 65 years old and older). The Muni cash fare for the entire urban trek will be approximately $9.00 for adults and $4.50 for minors and seniors. Or $5.00 all day bus pass from the Muni Mobile App only.
- Money for snacks and/or a meal.
- Your mobile/cell phone, if you have one.
- Snack or fruit in case you get hungry before lunch.
- Sunscreen and a small bottle of water.
What to wear for the Urban Trek
- Comfortable and sensible walking shoes because there will be a lot of walking.
- Dress in layers. San Francisco weather can vary greatly from morning to afternoon and from neighborhood to neighborhood. The temperature at the Golden Gate Bridge can be 10 degrees colder than the temperature downtown. You can remove or add a layer as needed. A hooded sweatshirt will be your best friend.
Other helpful tips
- Have a good breakfast before the urban trek. Take into consideration the first public toilet available - around 11:30 am for urban trek 2. Having coffee/tea right before the urban trek might not be a good idea because they tend to make people want to use the toilet afterwards.
- Anything you carry should not be too heavy that it will become a burden over the duration of the Urban Trek.
To be able to complete the Urban Trek for San Francisco, you must be in good enough physical condition to do all of the following without assistance:
- Walk at a normal pace for at least 20 minutes before resting.
- Walk uphill (10-18% grade) for at least 1 city block.
- Walk up and down stairs.
- Must be at least 18 years old. Minors should be accompanied by an adult.
Detailed Itinerary of Urban Trek 2:
We will meet at 9:30 am next to "The Samuels Clock" located at 856 Market Street. (Note: Search for "The Samuels Clock" on Google Maps and it will show the location of the meeting place.)
After a brief orientation, we will walk to the bus stop for the bus that will take us to Russian Hill. Along the way, you will learn about the great earthquake and fire of 1906. We will take a Muni bus to our first destination, Russian Hill. On the way, the bus will go through Chinatown & North Beach (but not stop there). You will get some information about Chinatown and North Beach while we are on the bus.
When we reach Russian Hill, we will first walk to one of the (officially) steepest streets in San Francisco so you will see for yourself the steepness of this street in Russian Hill. On a clear day, you will have a fabulous view of North Beach and Telegraph Hill. Next we will walk to the first "secret spot" with a nice view without the crowd. After that we will walk to the crooked street, Lombard Street. The Trek Leader will explain why this street was made crooked. We will then walk down the stairs to get to the bottom of the crooked street where you can take more photos and get more information. After the crooked street, you will visit the second "secret spot" with a fabulous view on a clear day - if the place is open.
We will walk down Russian Hill to the Muni bus stop to get to Chestnut Street in the Marina District for lunch.
At approximately 11:30 - 11:45 am we will get to Chestnut Street for our lunch break where you will have about an hour for a relaxing lunch and to have the opportunity to just enjoy the atmosphere of this neighborhood.
After lunch, we will take another Muni bus to our next destination, the Golden Gate Bridge where we will walk the bridge to the south tower and to surrounding place away from the crowd (third "secret spot") with a great view of the bridge. You will also get a brief history about the bridge.
After the Golden Gate Bridge, we will either take a FREE shuttle or a Muni bus, depending on which comes first, to the Palace of Fine Arts, which is a structure left from the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition and stroll around the structure/park. You will also learn about the world fair held in San Francisco in 1915. You will have time to take photos of this beautiful park.
After the Palace of Fine Arts, we will take a couple of Muni buses to get to Pacific Heights where you will see the house used in the movie"Mrs. Doubtfire" and some nice Victorian houses in the neighborhood. On a clear day, the view from this neighborhood is one of the reasons this is considered the place where the very rich live in San Francisco.
We will then proceed to Fillmore Street and take our last Muni bus ride to Union Square.
We will end at Union Square at approximately 4:30 - 5:00 pm.
Type your paragraph here.
Note: Dogs are not allowed unless it is a valid service dog & must be disclosed at the time when reservations is made.
Note: Cash in the only method of payment accepted at this time.
Offered Monday only. Advance reservtion required.Starts at 9:30 am & ends between 4:30 - 5:00 pm. At this time, all urban treks are in English only.
Included with price of the Urban Trek:
- An Urban Trek Leader with informative commentaries about the sites you will visit.
- Written self-guided directions for exploring more "secret spots" of San Francisco.
Not included with price for the Urban Trek:
- Cost of Muni bus fare. Est. cost for cash fare for entire Urban Trek is $9.00 ($4.50 for seniors, 65 years old, and minors, under 18 years old). Or $5.00 all day bus pass from the Muni Mobile App only.
- Cost of meals and snacks during the Urban Trek. Trekkers are free to choose where to have a meal within the boundaries of the trek vicinity. Meals can cost from approx. $15 and up depending on the place the trekker chooses. There will be a variety of places to choose from.
Note: Shopping or browsing at stores in not part of the urban trek.
Note: All urban treks are smoke-free.